Saturday, November 7, 2009

Entry # 38 Divine Intervention...oh and Halloween

The powers that be, have intervened in my addiction to chai lattes. Last weekend we took the kids for a walk along the Gulf and, of course, there was a Starbucks convinently located on our route. Little did I know that my life would soon change. I ordered my fix from the lovely Phillipino worker and she said sweetly, "Sorry Ma'm that was just a promotion. How about a toffee nut latte?" I think she was a little startled by my reaction and in hindsight I am embrassed. I don't think anyone in that Starbucks has witnessed a grown woman crying over a change of menu. Jamie talked me through it and I have accepted my fate. We can now continue with our plan of saving for a house.

On to Halloween...

I was prepared this year with both the kid's costumes so there was no running around gathering supplies. Isaac was going to be a pirate (as Zoe was at 2.5), Zoe was going to be Mulan and I was going to be a pirate as well. Zoe was allowed to dress up on the Wednesday before Halloween and we woke up early to ensure that we were ready to go. I did her hair and she was allowed to wear a little bit of make up. Needless to say, she was very excited. So when the call came at 6:45 from my head of department telling me school was canceled due to a power outage I had a sobbing distraught little girl on my hands. Jamie and I were still required at school so the only way we could get away was letting her watch the Mulan movie in her costume.

On Thursday, we, the parents of small children, had a halloween party. The "we" turned into me and Jamie when the orginial host family, Kim and Blair, had two members hit with H1N1. So after a morning of parent teacher meetings we headed home to host the halloween party. Thankfully, Kim had everything prepared and it only took a few trips to transfer everything to our place. We had 17 adults and 12 children in the apartment. After the party we headed out to trick or treat at four of the teacher apartment buildings. Getting a group of kids in costumes in and out of elevators and up and down stairs is a whole other blog entry (which I won't bore you with). Overall, the kids had a great time and we were exhausted so I believe that equals a great halloween.

I have included a lot of pictures! Enjoy

This display is Kim's creation. The pumpkins are squash since real pumpkins can cost about $30.00.


Most of the kids!

Mulan and her pumpkin.


Flora and Zoe.



Maquire (Kim and Blair's son)

A blurry but cute Mulan!



Flora and her son Floyd. I think they were confused by the Halloween tradition but Floyd had an excellent time and Flora says he still wears the duck costume.



My babies. Isaac was in costume for most of the party and then changed into his bathing suit and became a surfer dude.


ARRRRRRRGGGH!

Assessing the haul!

1 comment:

Stephanie Reidy said...

Looks like a great party! I have to tell you the truth, I petitioned the Kuwait government to put the kibosh on the Chai Lattes. It was for the good of your family.

XO Steph