Friday, September 5, 2008

Entry #2 Flight and Arrival

We left Jen and Bruce's house at 6:00 am on Tuesday to catch our flight. We checked it with no difficulties since Etihad seems to deal with large amounts of luggage being checked in on a regular basis. We said our goodbyes to Jen, Bruce and Ewan and were off. The flight went extremely well. We had the bulkhead so there were no passengers in front of us and that gave us more room. We had booked the bassinet that attaches to the wall but Isaac ended up being to heavy for it so it became more of a storage bin. Zoe watched a few movies and napped two different times and Isaac napped for about 5 hours. The food was great and service was good. When we were landing in Abu Dhabi the sun was coming up so we just told Zoe it was morning and away we went. We had an hour wait in Abu Dhabi before catching our hour long flight to Kuwait. We did manage to leave two carry-ons at the Abu Dhabi airport (all my fault). Once in Kuwait we had to get the kids a visa to enter the country so we had to do some paper work and more waiting. We got our first glimpse at the Kuwait bureaucracy at work. The visa guys were taking their time chatting and smoking while at least 30 people sat waiting. We waited for about an hour and when it was our turn and the guy started another conversation with his buddy. I almost came across the desk at him...but I restrained myself..no need to get kicked out of the country before stepping foot in it. But besides the luggage issue and visa wait everything went very smoothly and Jamie and I were quite kind to one another. :)

Russ McLean (the person who hired us) and the principal of the High School were there to meet us. I was thrilled to see a Starbucks right away. They offered to get us a coffee. Of course I requested a tall chai latte no foam...well, I almost got back on the plane when they came back to report that they did not carry them. I decided instead to consider my time in Kuwait as a rehab program for my chai latte addiction. Jamie got his coffee and the luggage was whisked away and we stepped out of the airport into 40 + temperatures to begin our adventure.

No comments: