Sunday, September 14, 2008

Entry #6 Random Thoughts

Small World:
Another teacher started this year at our school and she is from Halifax. Of course we asked whereabouts in Halifax. Ends up she is from Dartmouth...from Elwin Cresent which is the street you drive on to get to Mom's! She is younger than me but knew some of the kids on the street that I taught at Ellenvale.

As the year starts I get the students to write me an introduction letter and it turns out not one but two of my students have lived in Halifax. One in Clayton Park and the other..yes, in Dartmouth on Montebello Drive. It is a crazy small world.


Garbage:
There is a lot of it everywhere!! Litter everywhere...it is quite disgusting. A teacher at school has started composting and recycling at school so I am going to help out with that. Jamie just loves that I am carting our leftover food to school. Our Nanny thinks I am nuts.


Nanny:
Our Nanny (Flora) has really worked out. We are into week three with her and Isaac now goes to her with open arms in the morning and cries when she leaves; I almost wept the first time this happened. Zoe is still a little reluctant with Flora but she spends most of the day at school so we are not too stressed about this. (She still misses her Tammy!)


Zoe at school:
She loves it and I don't want to brag but she is one of the best students in the class. Of course this might have something to do with the fact that most of the other kids have never been away from their mothers/nannies before so they stand at the door wailing. So I think Zoe is one of the best in the class by default. :)


Weather:
It feels like it is starting to cool down...so it was only 35 today!


Pictures:
I have included a few more pictures. The first three are from the "Friday Market"but it is actually open everyday. I bought a rug for our apartment. As you can see there is quite a selection. These are not real Persion Rugs but lovely copies. I was able to bargin down from 15 KD (Kuwaiti Dinar) to 14 KD (about 56.00 Canadian). I am amazing...actually the women I was with did the bargining but I supported her 100%.
And the last picture is Flora and Isaac.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a small world and a nice connection to home. Love the rugs. Can't believe you could decide on just one. Hope that it is making the house feel a little more like home.

Keep up with the recycling. Someday you will change the world!

Love Jen

Stephanie Reidy said...

Hooray for Flora!